Sky Map turns your Android device into a window on the night sky.
Sky Map is a hand-held planetarium for your Android device. Use it to identify stars, planets, nebulae and more. Originally developed as Google Sky Map, it has now been donated and open sourced..
The Map doesn’t move/points in the wrong place
Make sure you haven’t switched into manual mode. Does your phone have a compass? If not, Sky Map cannot tell your orientation. Look it up here:
Try calibrating your compass by moving it in a figure of 8 motion or as described here: .
Are there any magnets or metal nearby that might interfere with the compass?
Try switching off “magnetic correction” (in settings) and see if that is more accurate.
Why is autolocation not supported for my phone?
In Android 6 the way permissions work has changed. You need to enable the location permission setting for Sky Map as described here: .
The Map is jittery
Try adjusting the sensor speed and damping (in settings). We have a better solution coming soon!
Do I need an internet connection?
No, but some functions (like entering your location manually) won’t work without one. You’ll have to use the GPS or enter a latitude and longitude instead.
Can I help test the latest features?
Sure! Join our beta testing program and get the latest version.
You don’t need to be an astronomer to find stars or constellations in the sky, just open SkyView® Free and let it guide you to their location and identify them. SkyView Free is a beautiful and intuitive stargazing app that uses your camera to precisely spot and identify celestial objects in sky, day or night. Find popular constellations as they fade in and out while you scan across the sky, locate planets in our solar system, discover distant galaxies, and witness satellite fly-bys.
***Google Editor’s Choice ***
• Simple: Point your device at the sky to identify galaxies, stars, constellations, planets, and satellites (including the ISS and Hubble) passing overhead at your location.
• Night Mode: Preserve your night vision with red or green night mode filters.
• Augmented Reality (AR): Use your camera to spot objects in the sky, day or night.
• Sky Paths: Follow the sky track for any object to see it’s exact location in the sky on any date and time.
• Time Travel: Jump to the future or the past and see the sky on different dates and times.
• Social: Capture and share beautiful images with friends and family on social networks.
• Mobile: WiFi is NOT required (does not require a data signal or GPS to function). Take it camping, boating, or even flying!